I was interested to see in the press recently that the Competition Commission is launching an inquiry into the costs of private health care.
Economic Development Minister Ebrahim Patel’s announcement came as no surprise, but some in the private healthcare sector may be less enamoured of the fact that they will be the guinea pigs for the Commission’s wide ranging new powers.
The new powers allow a much more in depth inquiry than before, when only specific instances of collusion and price fixing could be investigated. The inquiry will take up to two years to complete.
Rather than starting the discussion by giving you my opinions, for a change I have decided to canvas yours first!
- Do you think this inquiry is necessary?
- Do you think this is a witch hunt?
- What do you think the outcome of this inquiry will be?
- What is your view of this inquiry?
- Do you think it will help us understand why the private healthcare sector is becoming unaffordable?
Over to you!